Looking for some fun things to do to fill up your day before the evening dances? The Texas Dance Hall Preservation (TDHP) has put together some awesome activities available for purchase and every dollar goes to the TDHP! Check them out below and purchase your spot today before they’re sold out!
Thursday, October 26th:
Dance Lessons at Garten Verein in Galveston, TX!
$15 for a single, $25 for a couple – 90 minute lesson lead by Beth Strickland and her dance partner (professional dance instructors).
Click here to sign-up!
Dance Halls were made for dancing! Come learn to dance the fundamentals to four dancehall classics in this beginner dance lesson! You will learn two partner dances: Two step and Swing that will see you dancing for most of the concerts. You’ll also learn two circle dances: the Cotton-eyed Joe and the Schottische – no partner needed. For the lesson please wear comfortable shoes that stay on the feet (no sandals or flip flops please). Leather soled boots are best so if you got’em, wear’em! We will rotate partners so feel free to join us even if you are not bringing a dance partner. Two left feet are welcome! Don’t worry if you’ve never danced before, this class is tailor-made for beginners.
Friday, October 27th:
Daytime Dance Hall Tour throughout Austin County and beyond!
$55 per person – Led by Steph McDougal, Board President of TDHP, accompanied by Deb Fleming, Executive Director.
Click here to sign-up!
Enjoy a road trip to a few of the other historic dance halls in the area and hear their individual histories and stories while seeing the uniqueness of each structure and surroundings. Two step around the dance floor a few times, wander the area around the hall while soaking in the unique beauty of each and their surroundings, and snapping photos as a remembrance to take home. Daniel Vaughn, author of the Prophets of Smoked Meat and Barbecue Editor at Texas Monthly, will join us at Millheim Harmonie Verein (the location of an annual Father’s Day celebration where they still BBQ the real old fashion way – pits that are trenches in the ground) to discuss the vast subject of Texas barbecue. He’ll cover its history from a time before barbecue joints, all the way up to the current shifts in barbecue styles that we’re witnessing today.
*Lunch will be provided as part of the tour fee at Millheim Harmonie Verein (2nd hall stop) by local vendor in a buffet style format about 12 noon.*
NOTE: Participants must ride bus with group to participate. Anyone wishing to drive themselves must still purchase a ticket for this activity and present proper proof at each hall and for lunch.
- 9:00 Departure from Hyatt Place Houston/Katy
- 10:15 Arrive at Schneider, south of Columbus
- 11:10 Depart
- 11:50 Arrive Millheim Harmonie Hall Talk by Daniel Vaughn, The History of Texas BBQ
- 2:10 Depart
- 2:25 Arrive at Liedertafel, Sealy, TX
- 3:15 Depart
- 3:50 Arrive hotel
Saturday, October 28th:
Saturday, October 28th
Dancehall Photograph Workshop and Tour
$50 per person – Led by Dave Norris, professional photographer
Click here to sign-up!
This is an opportunity to visit and photograph 3 to 4 Historic Texas Dance Halls! The tour will be led by Dave Norris, a Texas based photographer, who has shot many of these historic halls for TDHP and others.
Workshop is open to photographers of every level; beginners, intermediate, and advanced.
We will begin the morning with a discussion about the significance of our historic halls and what wonderful photographic opportunities these halls present. We will concentrate on image composition – since every great photographic image began with the photographer seeing a special subject/moment to capture.
Items to consider bringing:
Camera – please remember the camera is an instrument to capture an image – so no matter what type of camera you have – Cell Phone, point and shoot, or Digital SLR – all are welcome. Tripod/Monopod – not a requirement but if you have one bring it. Shutter release – not a requirement but if you have one bring it.
“You don’t take a photograph, you make it” – Ansel Adams
Photograph Tour Route Map: https://goo.gl/maps/oBznX1YzaC22
- 8:30 – 9:00am – Meet for kick off session at hotel meeting room at Hyatt Place Houston/Katy
- 9:00 – 9:30am – Drive to Sealy and the Liedertafel Hall (116 Lux Rd, Sealy) for exterior shooting
- 9:30 – 10:00 am Liedertafel stop
- 10:00 – 10:20am – Drive to Bellville and the Bellville Turnverein (966 E Main St / Hwy 59 Bellville)
- 10:20 – 11:45am – Belleville Turnverein stop for interior and exterior shooting
- 11:45 – 12:45 – Lunch on your own in Bellville.
- 12:45 – 1:00pm – Meet at Brookshire Brothers parking lot (720 S Front St / Hwy 36 S) and drive to Peters Hall (756 Trenckmann Rd, Sealy)
- 1:00 – 2:00 pm – Peters Hall shoot interior and exterior
- 2:00 – 2:20 pm – Drive to Mixville Sunrise Hall (210-258 Mixville Rd, Sealy)
- 2:20 – 2:45 pm – Mixville shoot just exterior (vacant hall used for storage on private property)
- 2:45 – 3:15 pm – Drive back to hotel.
Sunday, October 29th:
Daytime events at Bellville Hall!
Bellville Turnverein will be hosting a full afternoon of amazing activities, history food, drinks and a dance featuring 10 time Grammy Award Winners Asleep at the Wheel! All proceeds from the Dance will benefit the Bellville Turnverein Pavilion Restoration Project. Advance tickets are $35, and tickets at the door will be $40. For more information about the Restoration Project and this event on Sunday, please visit www.bellvilleturnvereinproject.org
Below is the schedule of events and details about the day. This event is All Ages and Free to the Public for entrance, except for the Asleep at the Wheel dance.
- 12pm Open House Tour
- German history
- Lunch for sale (Vendors in the Park)
- Beer for sale at Beer Barn
- 1pm History by Steph McDougal Past President of Texas Dance Hall Preservation
- Architecture of Round Hall and its influence in Texas, Q and A
- 2pm Honor Joachim Hintz builder of Bellville, Peters and Cat Spring Halls
- Recognize descendants
- Blue Bell Ice Cream Social
- 2:45pm Clear Hall for 3pm Asleep At the Wheel Performance
- 3pm Asleep at the Wheel performs
- $35 advance tickets
- $40 at the door
- All Proceeds Benefiting the Bellville Turnverein Pavilion Restoration Project
- All Events in the Park are from 11 am till 5pm are Free to general public
- Food snacks and Drinks ,Games
- Texas Experience
- Rodeo arena Team Penning Competition
- Longhorn Exhibit
- Antique and collectible cars, Tractors
- Pumpkin Patch (for sale )
- 2 teams, horse drawn wagon Rides
- Through the Park $8 per person
- RV Park $25 electricity and water for Reservations call 979-865-5995